This blog began as a journal of a Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Travel Award visit to the USA to study how Lifestyle Redesign could be used in Occupational Therapy to improve the hospital/home interface for older people. It has continued to record developments and inspiration gained from that experience since returning from Los Angeles early in 2012.

3 Reasons to follow this blog...

Be Inspired-
WCMT travel awards are open to all British citizens

Be Involved- learn about Lifestyle Redesign programs and contribute to the discussion about the potential of this approach.

Be Information Technology savvy- just learning how blogs work is a new skill for many of us!


Tuesday 20 March 2012

Reflecting and spreading the word

This is my third week back at work following my study visit to Los Angeles. I am busy preparing my report about my experiences and what I have learned. I aim to complete my report by the end of March. It will be available via the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust (WCMT) website and I will include it as a link from this blog- you won't miss it!

I also submitted a press release and this has been distributed by WCMT to various national, local and professional publications, so waiting to see if any of them contact me- keeping lipstick to hand at all times!

It is only a couple of weeks until 1st April and the start of the Blogging from A-Z Challenge- see the link at the right hand side of the page. I am trying to get some of my posts at least partly prepared and doing this is a great way of reflecting on what I learned.

Back at work I am reminded of just how busy the working day of an OT clinician is, especially working in a setting where there are hospital discharges to be arranged. It is a real challenge to work out how some of the concepts I have been covering in this blog can be put to good use for the benefit of older people. I find myself viewing situations differently, for example I am much more aware of the 'narrative' aspect of working with individuals, and find myself envisioning how a programme based on Lifestyle Redesign could improve outcomes for many of the patients I work with. The next challenge is how to transform this into reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment