This blog began as a journal of a Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Travel Award visit to the USA to study how Lifestyle Redesign could be used in Occupational Therapy to improve the hospital/home interface for older people. It has continued to record developments and inspiration gained from that experience since returning from Los Angeles early in 2012.

3 Reasons to follow this blog...

Be Inspired-
WCMT travel awards are open to all British citizens

Be Involved- learn about Lifestyle Redesign programs and contribute to the discussion about the potential of this approach.

Be Information Technology savvy- just learning how blogs work is a new skill for many of us!


Wednesday 4 January 2012

Leaving tomorrow!

Feeling nervous. Flying out to LA in the morning and it is blowing a gale. Have I remembered everything? Have I got everything? Lists everywhere....
Reminding myself of the aims of the visit:

Aims of the Project

  • To learn about the Lifestyle Redesign model first hand and in depth.
  • To study and develop my understanding of how the model can be applied in the context of the interface between hospital and home.
  • To explore the relevance of this model to my own area of work. Key issues are the translation from an urban, culturally diverse setting to a rural and less diverse region.
  • To make links with current policy documents such as Shifting the Balance of Care and Reshaping Services for Older People (Scottish Government) that make clear the need for a new approach to services for older people.
  • To identify how occupational therapy services in my own area of work could deliver the most beneficial and cost effective interventions.
  • To prepare a discussion document for the development of occupational therapy services for older people in my region based on the learning from my visit.
  • To develop my own practice with individual patients based on my learning.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment